lifestyle . Wellness

Here's What You Need To Know About Breast Cancer

#BreastCancerAwarenessMonth

In our 20s and 30s, we are often introduced to more conscious choices when it comes to our beauty and fashion preferences. We are also highly encouraged to get fit and look after our health, which is always a good thing. However, there are matters that extend beyond beauty, fitness, and lifestyle that should also be considered before we hit our 40s. One of those things is breast cancer.

It's rare that we include breast cancer in our daily conversations. But since it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month, let us all take this opportunity to sit down and redirect our girl-talk to this very important issue. From taking out misconceptions about this disease to preventive measures and cures, we listed down the 411 on this deadly but survivable disease.

--------------------------

It can hit at any age



One of the main reasons why we often leave out the breast cancer talk to when we hit 40 onwards is because the most common occurrence of the disease come up at this point in our lives. But recently, there is a very significant shift in the age range of women getting hit with breast cancer. Children as young as 9 years old has been diagnosed. Women who also has a very active lifestyle and who put off having children are also more prone to the disease due to the build up of estrogen level. The latter is the reason why women in their 20s and 30s should also be concerned as they fit the bill completely.
--------------------------

It's not just about the lumps



The most common misconception that women believe in and cause them to not get checked early is the idea that lumps are the only sign of breast cancer. Case studies show that at least 70% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have no identifiable risk factors and even the most benign cases can not manifest lumps and cysts.
--------------------------

It's rarely genetic



We all remember when Angelina Jolie got a double mastectomy because of her family's history with breast cancer. It was definitely a bold move. But not everyone has to resort to such extreme measures. It's worth noting that only 10% of women who had been diagnosed with the disease has been proven to be hereditary. The other 90% are caused by factors such as one's environment and lifestyle.
--------------------------

It can be prevented and cured



Even if it is one of the leading causes of death among women from across the globe, there is a way to survive. Keeping a healthy lifestyle and having a good diet can lower the risk of the disease. Doing breast self-examination (BSE) after your monthly period can also help find any lumps or cysts. And to complement these measures, having an annual mammogram exam even as early as your 20s is also ideal. Breast cancer may be unpredictable, but prevention and early detection is always the best way to fight it.

-------------------------- 

Any other breast cancer facts we missed in our list? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!