All Answered! 5 Questions About Acne You've Always Wanted To Ask
Sun Tzu's Art of War taught you to "know your enemy". This rule doesn't just apply to work and business, it also applies to pesky skincare issues like acne. Here are five things you need to know about pimples in order to banish them:
#1. How are pimples formed?
Our skin produces sebum (through the sebaceous glands), which is important for lubricating our skin. When sebum clogs the skin, perhaps due to ineffective exfoliation, or because of over-active sebaceous glands, it makes your skin a great breeding ground for bacteria, leading to inflammation and redness - and that's when a pimple is formed. Watch this video for a more visual explanation of the process:
#2. Is there a difference between adult and teenage acne?
You may have thought you'd stop suffering from acne once you're done with puberty. Unfortunately, acne can still plague adults. Adult and teenage acne, however, are usually caused by different factors. Teenagers are prone to pimples because of hormonal spikes, leading to an over-production of sebum, which can cause more clogging. On the other hand, adult acne is typically triggered by hormonal fluctuations or stress.
While teenage acne can usually be kept under control once the teenager is put on a good skincare regime to help keep sebum under control, adult acne is usually slightly harder to deal with, and is more persistent, because skin is usually also plagued with other problems, such as dehydration and sensitivity.
#3 Can I squeeze my pimples?
The "bump" that you see holds oil and acne-causing bacteria. When you poke the pimple and release the gunk, the bacteria that's in it can get into other pores, infecting them and causing more pimples.
Another problem with squeezing them is that, if it's not done properly, you might be pushing the bacteria deeper into your skin, or even be introducing new bacteria to your pimple from your fingers, making the pimple more inflamed, and harder to heal. In the worst scenario, it may leave a permanent scar.
Don't be tempted to squeeze pimples yourself, let the experts, who are trained to do it properly and safely, handle them.
#4 What can I change in my habits to prevent pimples?
Because pimples are caused by an infection by bacteria, simple daily habits to take note of includes:
•Clean your mobile phone regularly. Bacteria that's left on the screen of your phone can transfer onto your skin when you hold your it against your face.
•If you wear spectacles, clean it regularly. The nose support and frame may trap sebum and makeup from your face, and can cause bacteria to breed and transferred to your skin.
•Exfoliate regularly. This ensures that there isn't any dead skin cells build-up that can provide bacteria with the chance to breed.
#5 Should I seek professional help?
If you're seeing very occasional appearance of pimples, you can simply wait for the pimples to run their course and heal by themselves.
However, if you have acne-prone skin and you feel troubled by frequent appearance of pimples, you should probably get help from skincare experts. Remember to look for a skincare centre that has showcased sufficient track record and experience.
Thank you for submitting your answer.
Fill up your details and stand to win Bella Skin Care vouchers.
Bella Skin Care ‘Read & Win’ Contest
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- CONTEST INFORMATION
- This contest is organised by Clozette Pte Ltd (“Organiser”) in collaboration with Bella Skin Care and is sponsored by Bella Skin Care.
- The contest begins on 19 August 2015 and ends on 15 September 2015, 11.59pm, (Contest Period). The Organiser reserves the right to vary, extend or end the Contest Period at its sole discretion, if it does not receive sufficient numbers of eligible entries or if the Contest is not capable of being continued for whatever reason or other reasons pursuant to the Terms and Conditions of this Contest.
- This Contest is open to all participants aged 18 and above (as at the date of participation in this contest) in Singapore. Employees, shareholders, officers, directors, agents, distributors and representatives of the Organiser and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, divisions, subsidiaries, agents, representatives and advertising agencies are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
- To qualify for this Contest, participants must answer a question and submit their particulars.
- The Organiser reserves the right to disqualify any Participant who does not comply with any of the Terms and Conditions of this Contest or if the Organiser is of the view that the Participant does not meet any the Organiser's participation criteria.
- CONTEST MECHANICS
- Participants will have to answer a question and submit their particulars and stand to win SGD600 worth of Bella Skin Care vouchers.
- There are 3 prizes to be won.
- The vouchers are not to be used in conjunction with other promotions.
- Treatments price is based on a-la carte/single treatment price list.
- Additional top up may be required should winner exceed the voucher value.
- WINNER'S PRIZE & PRIZE REDEMPTION
- At the end of the contest period, three (3) winners will be selected at random.
- First winner will receive SGD300 worth of Bella Skin Care vouchers.
- Second winner will receive SGD200 worth of Bella Skin Care vouchers.
- Third winner will receive SGD100 worth of Bella Skin Care vouchers.
- All prizes as listed on the Contest pages may be updated from time-to-time, and are non-transferable, non-exchangeable and there is no cash alternative.
- Organiser’s decisions are final and no correspondence or questions will be entertained.
- The Organiser reserves the right to replace the prizes with items of similar value in the event that the published prizes become unavailable.
- The Organiser will make best efforts to contact the Winner via the contact details or email address supplied during the entry submission process. Participants are encouraged to keep their contact numbers active, and to constantly check their email and social media accounts.
- The prize winner(s) will be randomly selected on [21 September, 2015] at [Clozette Pte Ltd, Singapore]. The winner(s) will be notified via the email address in their submission forms on [24 September 2015]. Prizes not claimed by [7 October 2015] may be withdrawn at the Promoter’s discretion.
- In the event that a Participant is not contactable after THREE attempts for THREE consecutive days, the Organiser reserves the right to disqualify the Participant's eligibility and the next qualified Participant will be selected.
- All Winners must claim their prizes within 2 weeks after being contacted by the Organiser (via direct email or other forms of communication). Should the Winner fail to claim their prize or nominate a representative within the time allocated, the Organiser reserves the right to forfeit the prizes or award the prizes to other Winners. Winners must produce their proof of identity in order to redeem/receive their prize.
- In the event a Winner requires a representative to claim their prize(s) on their behalf, the representatives must bring a letter of consent signed by the Winner, a copy of the Winner's proof of identity, and the representatives' proof of identity. If the Winner or his/her representative is not able to claim the prize(s) within the 3 days, the Winner will be automatically disqualified. The Organiser reserves the right to forfeit the prize or to award the prize to another Participant/Winner.
- RIGHTS OF THE ORGANISER
- The Participant agrees that all materials submitted by the Participant for this Contest belongs to the Organiser. Where applicable, the copyright and all intellectual property rights (including moral rights) subsisting in all materials including but not limited to digital or non-digital materials (eg: videos and images) belong to the Organiser.
- The Organiser reserves the right to publish, use the names, photographs, images and/or videos submitted by the Participant/Winner or of the Participant/Winners for the purposes of advertising, marketing, and publicity, without any prior notice or compensation to the Participant/Winners. Winners shall not be entitled to claim ownership or other forms of compensation on the materials.
- If for any reason this Contest is not capable of running as planned due to any reason not limited to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Organiser that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Organiser reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this Contest. If the Organiser elects to cancel or terminate this Contest, the Organiser will not retain any rights in the Entries.
- The Organiser reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to remove and disqualify any Participant and/or entries found or suspected of cheating/hacking/tampering with the Contest submission process, the operation of this Contest or to be in violation of any Terms and Conditions of the Contest. The Organiser reserves the right to pursue legal action against any individual whom it believes to have been involved in fraudulent activities or other activities harmful to the Contest, the Organiser or the Contest submission process.
- The Organiser reserves the right to vary the Terms and Conditions of this Contest at any time at its absolute discretion without prior notice.
- In the event of any conflict between these Terms and Conditions and any terms contained in any promotional material for this Contest, the terms contained herein shall prevail.
- LIABILITY & RESPONSIBILITY
- Unless stipulated otherwise, all transportation cost, internet charges, personal costs and/or any other costs, fees and/or any kind of expenses incurred by the Participants in connection with this Contest (whether for the purpose of joining, participating in or receiving any benefit or prizes from the Contest) or for the purpose of prize redemption or related travelling are the sole responsibility of the Winner, and the Organiser, its partners, advertisers, sponsors, affiliates, authorised agents or participating agencies accepts no responsibility whatsoever for these costs/charges/fees/expenses.
- The Organiser, its partners, advertisers, sponsors, affiliates, authorised agents or participating agencies accepts no responsibility for entries lost, damaged, delayed in the post, or due to computer, IT or any technological error. The Participant is responsible for ensuring that his or her entry complies with all the terms and conditions of the contest, the rules of the Contest and that his or her entry reaches the Organiser in the form required by the Organiser.
- By entering this Contest, all participants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless the Organiser, its affiliates and agencies, and their employees, officers, directors and representatives from any claims, losses or damages arising out of or in connection with their participation in this Contest (including but not limited to, any error in computing any transaction, any breakdown or malfunction in any computer system or equipment), any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and/or use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder. The Organiser reserves the right to alter or modify these Terms and Conditions at any time without notice.
- The Organiser does not adopt or endorse, or accept any liability for, any statements or claims that are made by any person, or content that is posted on its website / Facebook/ Instagram page.
- [Where Promotion mechanism involves Facebook] Facebook is not a sponsor of the Organiser. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. Participants understand and agree that they are providing their information to the Organiser and not to Facebook.
- GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
- These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by Singapore laws and the participants of the Contest shall submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of Singapore courts.
- Availability of this Contest in any country is subject to such Contest not being unlawful or restricted under the laws of such country. Your ability to enter the Contest does not constitute any offer by the Organiser to a party in a jurisdiction where the availability of the contest is unlawful or restricted.
- PRIVACY NOTICE AND CONSENT
- Your personal data, including without limitation the personal data obtained from you directly when you provide us with personal information, e.g. when you register for our contests and/or roadshows, buy a product or service from us, sign up to receive information, use our applications, fill out a survey, or make a comment or enquiry, and/or any further updates provided to us by you in relation to your personal information (“Personal Data”), will be processed for the purpose of your participation in our contest and/or roadshow and/or events, to provide you with products or services that you request from us, to provide you with advance notice of our future events, to respond to your inquiries, to provide you information about our and our partners’, sponsors’ and advertisers’ products, services and/or new releases which may be of interest to you, to invite you and your subscription to our newsletters, and/or for auditing purposes in cases where there has been a dispute, collectively “Purpose”.
- We also wish to inform you that your Personal Data may be disclosed to third parties, such as to our headquarters, regional offices, subsidiaries, affiliates and/or members within the Organiser’s group of companies, and/or our service providers, advertisers, sponsors and partners which may be located outside of your country, for reasons relating to the Purpose.
- If you wish to access, correct, limit or update your Personal Data, or to make any inquiries or complaints about the processing of such information, please contact us:
Clozette Pte Ltd
8 Burn Road
Attention: Clozette Compliance Team
Tel: +65 66368318
Fax: +65 66368313